Clínica Alemana de Santiago S.A. is a branch of “Sociedad de Beneficencia Hospital Alemán”, a private nonprofit corporation originally founded on July 5th, 1905, and subsequently (2000) renamed “Corporación Chileno-Alemana de Beneficencia” (Chilean-German Charitable Corporation).
Since early on, Clínica Alemana focused on quality hospital management and maintenance, ongoing medical research and social action programs.
In 1918, the German community in Chile opened the first Clínica Alemana, which was located on Dávila Street.
A long list of successful pioneering activities in the healthcare field, made the German-Chilean community proud of this initiative. In 1970, Clínica Alemana was sold to the “Caja Bancaria de Pensiones,” a bank workers´ retirement fund..
The proceeds of this sale, together with the valuable contribution of the German Evangelical Center for Development Assistance ("Evangelische Zentralstelle fur Entwicklungdhilfe"), were used to build the Clínica Alemana at its current site. The new building opened to the public in 1973.
Since then, Clínica Alemana has been a leader in the field of private health care, pursuing and ongoing medical development as its main priority.
Thanks to its longstanding policy of profit reinvestment, Clínica Alemana has been able to provide the latest in health care technology and to further expand its services. The new Clínica Alemana Medical Center in La Dehesa, which opened to the public in 1999, was also built on the basis of this philosophy.